Translate

Wednesday 25 January 2017

Saving Species - Cunning Plan A

Some people say that the human race is heading for extinction. Well, there ain't a lot of evidence for that. Last time I looked the population was increasing rapidly; not the normal direction for species facing extinction. 

On the other hand, the evidence is perfectly clear that a huge number of animals are facing extinction. One of the latest to be added to the endangered list is this little bundle of fluff.

 

Most of these cheetah cubs do not survive. Their population numbers are plummeting. Link to study.

And then there's these huge buggers.

 

Those teeth of theirs are so much sought after that these giants are also heading for bloody extinction.

And then of course, the African Apes.

 

They to, are heading down the slippery slope. (Link.)

Well, probably none of this comes as a surprise to you. Doom and gloom seem to be everywhere. But no, there is good news (for instance, this). Some species are being saved and much work is being done to that end. 

In my opinion, the best of the charities out there is the African Wildlife Foundation  The international charity watchdogs rate them as one of the best charities on planet earth. (Charity Watch)

They need help, and I aim to give it. 

But why not charities to help children etc etc etc? Of those, there are thousands. Effective animal charities are few and far between.

And so to my cunning plan. Well, I have two cunning plans actually, and I hereby name this one 'Cunning Plan A'.

Cunning Plan A

Promise not to laugh? At the end of March this year I'm going to be doing a 10K run. 

I have tried this before. 4 years ago I started training for a 10K. It ended in disaster. I've blabbed on about the resultant problems before, so here's a précis: Broken ankle, blab blab blab, multiple stress fractures, blab, cough, blab, multiple joint arthroses, blab, cough, blab, eye surgery, blab, cough, blab blab, fat old git.

See what I did there? Degenerated, that's what I did there.

Anyway, I've started training again, lost 5 kilo in two weeks, up to 4K distance already and so far not fractured anything. 

Will I make it? Are you willing to put money on it? Well, if so, please click here...


I'm planning on running all the way, but apparently walking and ambulance are also allowable.

Meanwhile I'm working on another cunning plan. I will be announcing it within the next two weeks and, mark my words, this is a cunning plan to beat all cunning plans.

And it shall be called 'Cunning Plan B'.


No comments:

Post a Comment