Translate

Monday 29 March 2021

It's Mine.

 The original idea of this Anorak's Paradise was to have one end of the rail system in Wales, travel through to the EuroTunnel, and end up in France. Hmm. 

Somewhere in there crept dragons. 

But never fear, Phil's dissonant mind is here! Wales does have it's own dragon, and it's name is .... (drum roll) ... Dewi.

The next contortion my brain had to fart out was how to make this circular shaped region remind me of Wales and include a dragon. 

No problem. 

During my many years as a veterinarian, one of my leisure activities was hunting down cruel and perverse horse abusers. This naturally led me to pit-ponies. I had no idea that they were still in existence, but I was dragged in as an inspector of these poor animals. The cruelty was insane. These beasts of over-burden were kept underground for most of the year. Often frustrated miners took out their anger on them. This involved beatings and almost certainly more perverse behaviour.

This mine is in their memory. 

Do they still exist?

Of course they do.

This pit was to consist of two levels. The ground level pit itself, and the underground realm run by Dewi. 

Or maybe Smaug...

Then the surface needed shaping. This was done by randomly sticking offcuts of polystyrene found on the garage floor. This is, I understand, how all planets are formed. 

Alternatively there is the bible version...

Adding some random bits of mine-head machinery also seemed appropriate.

All seemed to be going well. At such a moment in life you know full well that things are going to go tits-up.

First, the attack of the giant bugs. Ok, not actually a major problem; I just wanted to use this photo...

But then - Earthquake!

The sculpting base that I had previously used was no longer available. Something to do with Brexit maybe...

So I used some papier-maché. Not my greatest success. 

After falling back on some more traditional building materials, like grout and filler, I bravely managed to save the day.

The addition of some N-gauge rail added to the overall super-realism...

Then a couple of outbuildings, including an ever-useful toilet.

Realism is my second name.

Actually it's not. However, I'm not letting on what it really is...

Nearly there, but my experience of mines using pit-ponies did not include the word 'clean'. 

Ah... better...

The two levels now are there, in the correct order...

The final muck is in place. including some little humanoids, all of whom are almost certainly guilty of causing unnecessary harm to equines...


Many of my experiences as a veterinarian drove me close to the edge. But there's nothing like retirement to push you over it completely...




7 comments:

  1. Very clever Phil, brilliant some might say but we don't want you to get too big headed. Do you remember that fiery furnace in the cynon Valley?
    Terrible what those horses endured. Humans!!!! They're enough to make you want to be a serial killer. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terra-forming at it's best Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hitch Hikers Guide... (you knew that)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terra-forming at it's best Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant. A perfect imperfection,
    I took two of the grand-children to see the garden of rememberance at Senghennydd last week (it was closed), and reminded them of the two pit disasters. Mines were cruel for all, and lined the pockets of the owners. I never heard how many ponies were killed in the pit disasters.
    Keep on writing.


    ReplyDelete
  6. First class in every department

    ReplyDelete