Translate

Friday 13 November 2020

Gnome-Trek: Episode 7. Into the Plague: Chapter 15

Space: And there's more...

These are the continuing voyages of the Flying-Brick ‘Gnome’. Its continuing mission: to go north, young man

Chapter 15: Honfleur Part 2

And so here in France we have just started our third week in our second lockdown. Halfway through lockdown and halfway through this grim tale. Or is it? To add to my torment (and undoubtably yours too) it has just been announced that the lockdown may be extended at least a further two weeks, and possibly more. Unsurprisingly, for us,  this is not good news. Our home help (for Maman) has had to be reduced, and now our Thunderbirds Rescue Team (the family) will not be able to get here to give us any chance of a further Gnome-Trek this year.

There is worse. Somehow I have to extend this blog. 

I feel like giving up.

So I probably will...

Hey! Less of the cheering guys!

Back to our story. For me this is an aid to escape lockdown blues, as well as being a way of inflicting pain upon my fellow man.

...

Honfleur has an interesting history, one which has actually had a significant impact upon myself personally. Moi-même.

It was first occupied by the vikings, who named it the 'Land of the North Men'. Aka Normandy. Who knew? The only influence of the Vikings on me is by supplying most go my genetic make up, making me the Adonis that I am today...

I'm also reliably informed that they were quite self-delusional.

Honfleur is in a strategically useful position, and proved important at the beginning of the hundred years war, although it was only called the six-month war at that time...

During this long drawn out conflict, the English captured it at least twice. OK, stop the patriotic fervour. You do realise the 'the English' were basically French anyway? The French Anguvins ruled England at the time, although we try not to mention that in public.

More important to me than all this long past history was the birth here of someone who has had a major influence on the world of art, and myself also. Who he? Ah, that deserves a chapter all too itself...

One of the things that you often see in ports and marinas (what is the bloody difference?) is boats. There are yachts galore, but what are they for? Do they do anything? They just seem to sit there. And do they have to be spelt like that?

"Look at me, I have lot's of money. Or at least I did before I bought this piece of useless flotsam."

And so, to Chapter 16 and a major influence... Any idea of whom I speak?



5 comments:

  1. Did you know that boudin is the word in french for black sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or ‘ blood sausage ‘ as it was translated to me once , traditionally eaten with an apple compote or something else sweet if I remember correctly.( Not something I would eat )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or ‘ blood sausage ‘ as it was translated to me once , traditionally eaten with an apple compote or something else sweet if I remember correctly.( Not something I would eat )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or ‘ blood sausage ‘ as it was translated to me once , traditionally eaten with an apple compote or something else sweet if I remember correctly.( Not something I would eat )

    ReplyDelete