Translate

Monday 19 April 2021

The Third Lockdown, Day 17: Bible Lessons

It's Sunday again (well, it was when I wrote this), so it's time for some more theology. Hmm, well, first I have to do a bit of weeding and pruning, then a bit of swimming, then cook a Sunday roast. After that I'll maybe work on my little corner of paradise. 

However, before all that I would like to update you on the progress of the four Chinese mandarin eggs slow-cooking in the incubator. 


The ducklings are clearly taking shape, but here's the odd thing, they've got gills!

What? Yeah, seriously, at this stage of growth, birds have gills. 

Just like fish. 

In fact like reptiles too. 

Exactly the same as us.

What? You mean we have the same anatomy as fish?! Indeed we do. Well, indeed we did, when we were only slightly more than a glint in our parents eyes. 

This is the magic of our evolutionary history. We, like reptiles and birds (aka dinosaurs) have the same ancestors as fish.

Who knew?

Well, quite a lot of people actually, but none of them seem to have been involved in writing the bible...

I was thus a little disappointed when swimming this morning, that breathing underwater is a skill that I have not maintained. What happened to those bloody gills?

Well, they were adapted, over a mere hundred million years or so, into parts of my jaw, inner ear and throat.

So I guess I'll have to use a snorkel. 

Bloody evolution...

Talking of bibles, our little corner of paradise is taking shape, although no gills have yet been spotted...

Not even a few mermaids? Unicorns? Brexit benefits?...



2 comments:

  1. What an EGG-SHELLent post! You are a very s-GILLED blogger. I love your TRAIN of thought xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an EGG-SHELLent post! You are a very s-GILLED blogger. I love your TRAIN of thought xxx

    ReplyDelete